Sunday, December 16, 2007

2nd Charlotte Sisterlocks Gathering

In case I didn't already know it, I don't have time to blog, at least not as regularly as I would like. That being said, I'm sure you've heard by now through the blog grapevine that we had a grand time last Saturday (Dec 8) celebrating our SL journeys together. Extra special for me was the fact that I got to celebrate being SLd for one whole year on that same day! It was truly wonderful getting to hang out with Carmen/beautiful1 again, and a little longer this time. Keeping up with her personal journey has been so inspiring. And her creativity with Tomoka's Twists is growing off the chain! Check it out ...


You'll see more of Carmen's talent below because I don't think any of us could walk away without at least one Twist, Tie or set, and of course we were more than happy to model some of her pieces when the opportunity arose.





There were several times when I found myself just being quiet and staring, trying to drink in all of the unique beauty exuding from our locs. Our collective SL journeys spanned the timeline from just a few months to several years, and our loc length spanned from neck, shoulders, to "sitting on it". Man, I thought I'd gotten a good pic of Lauren's "sit on it" length, but I don't seem to have one - darn! And to my further surprise ... I guess I was so busy taking pics of these ladies (I sure hope I didn't forget anyone) that I forgot to have someone take pics of me with my camera. We did get one of my vest though for my Crochet Passion blog ;-) ...
(Not that I ended up needing to wear this vest that day; it wasn't until I stepped foot outside for the first time that evening that I discovered how unseasonably mild it was outside.)
But no worries, we have all agreed to get together again in the spring, so there'll be one of many more Charlotte SL gathering photo opps to look forward to. Besides, I've previously posted some "almost a year" pics on my blog and will surely have more to come.
Now I've purposefully shied away from naming names here because I know I will forget (at least) one. However, BlackRussian (a much more dedicated blogger than me and also a true pleasure to finally meet in person after reading so many of her great posts) has them nailed on her blog. I'll never forget any of the faces and warm personalities though. What a blessed"gem"lady I am to have met these ladies in person and benefited from their experiences, tips and sisterhood.
Happy Holidays ladies!!
I so appreciate the fact that you took the time out to come from near and far (very far in some cases) to hang out with us. I know we'll continue to keep in touch and I can't wait to see what the next few months holds for each of us on our SLs journeys.

6 comments:

CarmenNC said...

This is surreal. I keep saying I'm going to make it to Oprah and The View. I'm afraid that ABC is going to start blocking my emails to Whoopi. Anyways, I'd probably act a fool, jump on her chairs, and throw TTs in the crowd. No, I'd cry and say thank you a million times like I'm doing now. I appreciate you and everyone for supporting me. I enjoyed myself and would like to everyone again and more people.

blackrussian said...

If you DO make it on Oprah or The View, Carmen, ya gotta let me know. You gotta let several of us know...after all...you're going to need MODELS!!! I want to at least have the opportunity to be in the audience, for real, and to TIVO it at the VERY least.

LADY - Great pics, fun post. I always scan the pics before I read the post and I thought you were having a moment where you were being modest like our friend Muslimah and not showing your face for some reason, although I didn't know why.

I can't believe you don't have pics of yourself on your OWN camera.

I thought I had pics of Lauren's length too! I guess we weren't as focused on her length as we thought we were (only in retrospect, I suppose). In person, I was much more interested in her words of wisdom..."sitting at her feet" as it were to learn how our locks can be as strong, healthy, and beautiful as hers are at ten years!

For real, tho' we gotta do this again in the spring. I say we should shoot for March! I found myself truly inspired. I love to be in the company of positve women. And when they are AA AND locked or otherwise natural it IS a wondeful thing!

I am glad you made time to post about the gathering. I wish everyone who attended had blogs. I would have liked to get each woman's perspective on the evening. (hint...hint...ladies...I KNOW you're reading this!)

Maryee said...

Lovely gathering ladies!!!!! Just beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous! Y'all make me wish I lived in NC too! Looks like everyone had a great time! Blessings to all on their journeys. I begin mine 1-23-08!

Mel said...

Looks like you all had a wonderful time!

And Happy Anniversary to you!

blackrussian said...

We talked about doing another gathering in March. Have you given any more thought to that?